Chemical filled plug-ins, toxic air freshener sprays and candles filled with paraffin are just some of the ways people try to give their home a beautiful aroma – but in reality these store bought products are merely contributing to the toxic load present in our homes.
However, there are ways to make your home smell amazing by making your own all natural, cheap, wonderfully scented products, such as reed diffusers, air freshening sprays, candles, potpourri and so much more.
This blog post reveals seven fantastic ideas you can make for yourself at home. Plus many of these ideas would make great gifts for your loved ones!
Make Your Own Jelly Air Fresheners
Scatter these jelly air fresheners around your home and they will gently release their aroma without the toxic chemicals of store bought. The best thing is you can customize the scents simply by substituting different essential oils. Try lavender in spring and vanilla in winter.
Make Your Own Reed Diffuser
Reed diffusers gently perfume the air but they can also be incredibly expensive and often not made with natural ingredients. They are so easy to make using just a few ingredients and a few dollars. Here’s how…
– a reed diffuser bottle (such as this one)
– essential oils (e.g. lavender, rosemary, eucalyptus)
– reeds or bamboo skewers (such as these)
– Fill the reed diffuser bottle with water, add a few tablespoons of vodka and an essential oil of your choice. Use the ration of 12 drops of essential oil per 1/4 cup of water. Mix the ingredients together.
– Place one end of the reeds into the solution, allow to soak and then reverse the reeds so the opposite end is submerged. You’ll need to rotate the reeds weekly.